Sunday, January 14, 2018

"The Joy of Grandchildren"

Sydney M. Williams
swtotd.blogspot.com
Essay from Essex
“The Joy of Grandchildren”
January 14, 2018

I love music of all kinds, but there is no greater music
than the sound of my grandchildren laughing.”
                                                                                                Sylvia Earle (1935-)
                                                                                                American marine biologist and author

On a recent visit to the home of my youngest granddaughter, I noticed a hand-written sign posted on the door leading from the mudroom to the kitchen: “Manicure, one cent.” Feeling the least a grandfather could do was encourage entrepreneurship, I consented to having my nails painted. Despite pleas that my nails not be varnished in some garish color, and the offer of a dollar bribe, I soon found myself with ten fingernails decorated as though they were Joseph’s multi-colored coat. A few hours later, and a penny and a dollar short (the dollar was accepted, but not honored!), I walked into our home with my hands in my pockets, thinking of Ogden Nash: “when grandparents enter the door, discipline flies out the window.”

Not everyone is fortunate to have grandchildren, so we count ourselves among God’s chosen. As grandparents, we see in our grandchildren the promise and risks of the future – we dream of the places they will go, the people they will meet. We think of the loves and losses, joys and sadness, laughter and tears they will experience. We know they will learn from failure and that they will derive satisfaction from success. We know they will come to understand that work brings dignity and pride, and that they will have the chance to do those things we tried, or didn’t do at all.

While our lives lie in the past, theirs are the future. We have memories; they have the promise and mystery of the unknown. We look backward, sometimes cynically, through scrapbooks in the mind; and then we look forward, with hope, through the eyes of our grandchildren. In their genes they carry our DNA, which ensures that a part of us will live forever, or at least as long as they and their progeny procreate.

Caroline and I have ten grandchildren. They are the issue of three sets of parents – all of whom were married within a twelve-month period – June 14, 1997 to June 20, 1998. Grandchildren (six girls and four boys) began arriving in 2000 and the wave did not stop until 2008. There was only one year – 2007 – when the stork didn’t deliver a new package. Today, two of them are high school juniors and three high school sophomores. The rest scale down to the fourth grade.

Time goes by faster as we age, so the speed with which they left behind cribs, diapers and Santa Claus has been startling. One moment they looked up to me, as the fount of all wisdom. Now, they look down at me, and kindly ask if they might help me with my iPhone. It seems only yesterday I was pushing them in a stroller. Now, I hurry to keep up. Was it only a decade ago, I was reading bed-time stories? Now, they want to discuss quantitative physics, the New York Giants offensive line and the situation in Ukraine.

Like all grandchildren, mine like to hear stories – what it was like in the “olden” days. Former Poet Laurette (and New Hampshire resident) Donald Hall wrote about haying with his grandfather in the 1930s: “Even more I loved the slower plod back to the barn. My grandfather told story after story with affection and humor.”[1] Mine like to hear what it was like to grow up in the 1950s – music we listened to, books we read, games we played, clothes we wore, food we ate, schools we attended. They want to understand what it was like to live without computers, fast-food restaurants, iPhones, or Amazon. They ask questions, as I did of my grandparents, trying to understand what it was like to live in a different time. While attention spans can be short – perhaps because of boring and interminable responses! – I know they hear me, just as I heard my grandparents sixty and seventy years ago. What is difficult to comprehend is trying to foresee the stories they will tell their grandchildren, seventy years hence. Will their childhoods seem as primitive to their grandchildren as mine is to them, and my grandparents were to me?

Their activities reflect the eternality of sports, the enduring appeal of extra-curricular programs and the timelessness of youth: playing on the beach, swing-sets and Little League when young. And now a multiplicity of sports and activities: squash, tennis, lacrosse, horseback riding, soccer, cross-country, track, skiing and swimming. One grandson tutors students whose first language is not English. A granddaughter is an Irish dancer. A grandson plays the cello and a granddaughter the violin. Two are in school choirs. Two are accomplished artists, and one has written a yet-unpublished novel. Another volunteers at a riding academy for children with physical disabilities, and one participates in Amnesty International. Two have had summer jobs as camp counselors. We have watched our oldest granddaughter play in a New England squash tournament in Deerfield, Massachusetts, and her cousin play Lacrosse for Darien, Connecticut’s high school. I have taken two granddaughters to riding lessons, and witnessed their improving horsemanship. We have watched two grandsons wallop tennis balls, and others swim, play soccer, lacrosse, squash and run cross-country. They all enjoy being young and are beginning to experience the emotional traumas of the teen years. All ten are fortunate to be living with loving parents in stable families. All ten live relatively close to their needy grandparents.

I live vicariously through them, feeling the ball hit my racquet, the muscles of the horse beneath the saddle, the splash of water in my face, and the sliding of my skis across the snow. I think, this is why we are here.

Having grandchildren recalls time I spent with my grandparents. Mine were born between 1873 and 1888. They grew up before cars or telephones – something improbable to my grandchildren who will ride around in driver-less cars and speak into wrist-watch phones. I remember thinking my grandparents were from another age – gas street lamps, electricity-free homes, horse-drawn street cars – real-life figures that leapt from dusty text books. I knew I would learn from them, and I instinctively knew I was special to them. I loved to hear stories of cows driven down Boston’s Beacon Street, carriages on Hillhouse Avenue in New Haven, and life on a tobacco farm in Tennessee. Grandparenthood is to be treasured. It is a joy.

My youngest grandson made a disparaging comment about Communism. He was asked, condescendingly, by his well-read older brother: “You don’t even know what Communism is?” “Yes, I do. It’s when two people work, one for two hours and the other for ten hours, and they both get paid the same.” There was enough truth in his answer that I don’t worry about their generation. They know how the world works. As I think about my grandchildren, the lyrics of Bob Dylan’s song come to mind:

“May your heart always be joyful;
May your song always be sung;
And, may you stay forever young.”

My message to my grandchildren: You will encounter storms; you will be becalmed, but, with eyes on the horizon, you will reach shore. And, take comfort in the fact that your grandparents – your perfectly correct grandmother and your politically incorrect grandfather – love you unconditionally.



[1] “Physical Malfitness,” Essays After Eighty, 2014

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home